Summer Reading Program
Your local library offers many Opportunities – to read, to learn, be active or try something new. In fact, we are trying something new ourselves this summer— an online summer reading program featuring virtual programming and events.
Here’s how it works:
Register online or download the READsquared app (available free from the app store).
Registration opens June 15. Parents must create a supervisory account for children under age 13.
EARN POINTS FOR READING
Log the amount of time (book title and author optional) you read between June 15 and August 8. Each minute read earns 1 reading point. The more you read, the more points you earn and the more chances you’ll have to be a winner in our prize drawing at the end of the summer.
We encourage participants to read for 20 minutes a day at least five days a week throughout the eight weeks of the program.
Log up to 60 minutes of reading time each day. Forget to log a day of reading? No problem! Simply select the day you missed to add the minutes you read.
EARN POINTS FOR MISSIONS
The summer reading program is about more than just reading – it’s about science, exploration, learning and doing! Participate in fun activity missions throughout the summer to earn even more points.
Complete activities or attend virtual programs to earn “mission” points. There are lots of activities to choose from throughout the summer.
Every time you meet a 100 point milestone you will earn a progress badge and an entry into our end of summer prize drawing. Earn 1000 points and complete the program for the most chances to win!
Each week links to new programs and activities will be available on this page, and even more activity missions can be found here. Or visit us on Facebook or Twitter for links, updates and other fun stuff!
Can’t join us online the day of a program? No problem! All programs will be available throughout the summer reading program, so you can watch later, or view as often as you’d like!
Check our summer calendar of events for more details and don’t miss out on A Summer of Opportunities!
Summer Reading News
Special Events for Kids & Tweens
- Dragons, Return of the Ice Sorceress presented by Science Tellers (available June 15)
- Learn A Little Sign Language – new lessons every Monday, beginning June 15
- SPLAT: Going Buggy (available June 17)
- Find This! – new activities every Friday, beginning June 19
- Turtle Story Time with The Clifton Institute (available June 22)
- Nature Walk with The Clifton Institute (available June 29) NEW!
- Panning for Gold with Fauquier County Parks & Recreation Department (available June 29)
- SPLAT: Fairy Tales (available July 1) List of materials needed to complete this activity at home
- Nursery Land Virtual Escape Room for children (available July 1) NEW!
- Story Walk (available July 1) NEW!
- SPLAT: Making Rain (July 15)
- SPLAT: Under the Ocean (July 29)
- Virtual Story Times (available every Tuesday and Thursday, beginning Tuesday, June 16)
- Recommended reads for kids
For program descriptions and other library news and information, view the 2020 Summer @ the Library Calendar of Events.
Remember to register for A Summer of Opportunities and check out all the exciting virtual programs and activities coming this summer!