Library cards are free for county residents and for residents in areas that have borrowing agreements with Fauquier County Public Library.
A parent or legal guardian must sign for applicants under the age of 18.
Apply in person or online.
- You live in Fauquier County or in a county with a reciprocal agreement with Fauquier County; or…
- You are enrolled in public or private school or college in Fauquier County; or…
- You are employed in Fauquier County; or…
- You own property in Fauquier County
Acceptable documents to verify name:
- Driver’s license
- School, work or military ID
Acceptable documents providing proof of address include:
- Driver’s license or ID with current street address
- Checkbook with current address
- Utility bill
- Car registration
- Mail forwarded by the Post Office (with their yellow forwarding label) – we cannot accept hand-addressed personal mail as proof of address
Acceptable documents to verify employment:
- Corporate badge or ID with address
- Paycheck stub
Acceptable documents to verify property ownership:
- Assessment notice
- Tax bill or receipt
The Library extends borrowing privileges to any institution, business, or corporation in Fauquier County. An institutional card follows the same library policies and fines schedule that apply to cards issued to individuals. The cards are intended to support the needs of the organization and are not for the personal use of members or employees. Requests for institutional, business, or corporate library cards must be made in writing on official letterhead and signed by the officer or the person who will assume responsibility for its use. A list of persons authorized to use the card should accompany the request. The institution must agree to pay fines, replacement charges, and other fees levied against the card. The cards will be valid for one year.
Temporary borrowing privileges are available to residents of any Fauquier County temporary shelter. A temporary card follows the same library policies and fine schedule as permanent cards with a few exceptions. A temporary card is valid for one month, can be renewed, and has a check-out limit of two items per card at all times. Verification of temporary residency may be established by a written statement on official letterhead from the director of a temporary shelter, or other proof of temporary address deemed acceptable by library staff.