Kids Events & Activities
Oceans of Possibilities, the 2022 summer reading program
- *NEW* STEAM for Tweens: Why Knot? Why Not!
- Learn a few basic knots and you will be on your way to tying everything from garbage bags to guitar straps!
- STEAM for Tweens: Skittles Science
Learn how to use a binary coding system and “code” your initials to create a beaded keychain!
- *COMING SOON* STEAM for Tweens: Ocean Layers – Registration opens Tuesday, July 5
- *COMING SOON* STEAM for Tweens Shark Bits – Registration opens Monday, July 18
- Live, Online Story Times *New Summer Schedule: Thursdays, 10:30 – 10:45)
Previously presented virtual story times are also available on-demand. Re-watch your favorites or explore new ones!
Find a Good Book
- What to Read – Kids
- Junior Library Guild Digital Catalog – An unlimited synchronous access collection of ebooks and eAudio for students K-12; content is refreshed every 30 days so there is always something new to read. If you get prompted for a login (or want to use the JLGDig app via Apple and Google Play), please use the following for both a username and password: VirginiaReader
- Overdrive/Libby for Kids | . – eBooks and audiobooks just for kids!
- TumbleBook Library | . – An online collection of animated, talking picture books; features Spanish and French books, read-along chapter books, non-fiction books, and exciting games and puzzles
- Just for Kids | . – Educational videos children want to watch – Sesame Street, The Electric Company, Reading Rainbow, the Berenstain Bears, Franklin, and thousands more – plus songs, games, story times and other interactives that are sure to entertain, educate, and inspire young children.
- Kanopy Kids | . – Stream a selection of educational and enriching videos on Kanopy Kids with developmentally appropriate, age-based ratings from Common Sense Media, as well as additional parental controls. Kanopy Kids categories include TV Series, Learning Languages, Animated Storybooks, Anime Favorites, Classic Films and Movies for the Whole Family. Stream Kanopy on your computer or download the app on your phone, tablet or Roku device.
Get Help With Homework
- Brainfuse HelpNow – Get live, certified educator assistance (7 days a week, 2-11 pm ET) for homework, research, and writing in all subjects for grades K-college | .
- Britannica Library – Children | . – Encyclopedia articles, multimedia content, and a world atlas
- Gale In Context | Elementary | . – For kindergarten through Grade 5; articles and reference books for school research and general learning
- KidSpeak (Transparent Language) – Young learners (ages 6 and up) explore a new language through fun and engaging activities with their cartoon “friend” and his or her pet. Sign in to/register for Transparent Language Online, go to More Languages and select the desired KidSpeak language (Chinese, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish)
- World Book Online For Kids | . – Encyclopedia articles, maps and more designed especially for young students
- ABCya.com – Grade level lessons incorporate areas such as math and language arts while introducing basic computer skills
- Cookie – Learning games for preschoolers and kids designed by child experts and educators
- FunBrain Moms and Kids Playground – Games to help children practice mouse skills, part of the Family Education Network
- Nick, Jr. – Aimed at preschoolers, games star popular characters from the Nickelodeon network
- PBS Kids – Games, activities and printables from favorite PBS Kids television shows
- Scholastic.com – Writing games, quizzes and polls, puzzle and arcade games from the children’s book publisher
- Sesame Street Games – Browse by theme or character; perfect for the younger child
- Starfall.com – Educational site offering games that encourage reading, primarily designed for pre-K–2nd grade children