A-Z List of Databases
We offer online articles, reference books, and other resources for research and learning, including the licensed databases below. You can access most resources at home with your library card. A few are for in-library use only.
Need help or not sure where to begin? Email a librarian or call the Adult Reference Desk at (540) 422-8500 ext. 6862.
Browse our databases by category or view the A-Z list below:
- Access Science – Scientific articles, news, research and videos
- Acorn TV – World-class mysteries, dramas, and comedies from Britain and beyond, including 80+ exclusive shows and a full slate of original programming
- America’s News from NewsBank – Full-text access to 1,000+ local, regional and national newspapers
- Ancestry for Virginians – Free remote access to select* Ancestry.com materials from the Library of Virginia collections is available to Virginia residents. Users are required to sign up for a free Ancestry.com account prior to accessing the Library of Virginia’s collections. *Note that these records do not include all of Ancestry.com’s Virginia-related content.
- Ancestry Library Edition (in-library use only) – Genealogy sources including censuses, vital, immigration, and military records, family histories, and legal documents
- Biography in Context – Search or browse 600,000+ biographies
- Bloom’s Literature – Articles about literature, author biographies, and plot overviews
- Britannica Library – Trusted information for students of all ages
- Career Transitions – An online career guidance center that walks users through the job-search process from beginning to end
- CaseFinder Web (in-library use only; see reference staff for login) – Access Virginia Case Law, including Supreme Court, Federal 4th Circuit and Eastern and Western District Courts, VA Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, selected VA circuit courts, and legal ethics opinions
- Consumer Reports Online – Unbiased/trusted product reviews and ratings on cars, appliances, electronics and more
- Early Learning by World Book – World Book Online’s early childhood digital resource, is a child’s first encyclopedia, eBook, and introduction to core early concepts
- EBSCO eBook Collections:
- Cricket Media Collection – For children in grades pre-k through 8th; Cricket is an internationally recognized education company with award winning print content for children, families and educators. Cricket is focused on engage children in a wide variety of subjects and disciplines helping them explore and expand their worlds
- K-8 Collection – Full-text e-books across all subject areas taught in elementary and middle schools; aligned with the Common Core Curriculum Standards
- High School Collection – Includes a selection of classic literary works, important historical documents and general reference materials
- History Collection – Titles encompass a variety of subjects, including medieval history, history of music, history of science, law in history, history of philosophy, art history, history of technology, history of business and economics, history of religion, military history and more
- EBSCO Small Business Reference Center – Exclusive full text for many top consumer small business reference books, as well as tools to address many small business topics, including videos, a help and advice section and details on how to create business plans
- Explora Primary (K-5) – Age-appropriate research needs searching Ebsco’s K-8 eBook collection, Cricket Media eBook collection and general knowledge database
- Explora Public Libraries – Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topics inspire research ideas
- Explora Secondary Schools – Designed to meet the unique needs of student researchers in middle- and high school, includes high-quality articles for use in the school environment
- Find It Virginia – A carefully curated selection of authoritative databases, online learning products, and digital reading content (both text and audio) for Virginians of all ages
- Fold3 Library Edition – Provides convenient access to official US military records along with first-person content, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served
- Gale Business | Entrepreneurship – A comprehensive database that covers all aspects of starting and operating a business, including accounting, finance, human resources, management, marketing, tax, and more.
- Gale Business | Plan Builder – A step-by-step online planning tool for starting, managing and optimizing a business or nonprofit. The program’s intuitive dashboard walks users through five areas of exploration to develop a business plan focused on long-term success.
- Gale Genealogy Connect – Features a wide range of comprehensive references covering the American Revolution, Atlantic States, Family Histories and more
- Gale Legal Forms – Print official state and federal legal forms covering business, personal, real estate and other legal areas
- Great Courses (RBdigital) – Delve into an immersive learning experience, covering a wide variety of subjects, with the world’s most engaging professors
- HeritageQuest – U.S. genealogical sources including census data, local and family histories, and finding aids
- Hoonuit – Video training on technology topics
- IndieFlix – Award-winning comedies, documentaries, drama, animation, shorts, and classic TV
- Kids InfoBits – Articles and reference books for K-5 students
- Learn It Live – Discover hundreds of expert-led programs covering topics on cooking, nutrition, child care, financial wellness, fitness, yoga, mindfulness, stress reduction, and much more!
- LearningExpress Library – Support for students and professionals in skill-building, test prep and career certification
- Legal Information Reference Center – Includes exclusive full text for many top consumer legal reference books, as well as thousands of legal forms
- Lexis Advance Research (in-library use, Warrenton central branch only) – Access the National Primary Library of federal legal codes and case law, Michie’s Jurisprudence for Virginia, and Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- MasterFILE Complete – Offers the largest collection of popular full-text magazines, reference books and other highly-regarded sources from the world’s leading publishers
- Method Test Prep – Comprehensive self-paced program for ACT, SAT, proven to raise scores
- NoveList Plus – Trusted source for expert read-alike recommendations, series information, reviews and hundreds of book lists
- OverDrive (Blue Ridge Download Consortium) – Popular fiction and nonfiction titles for adults, teens and children
- Opposing Viewpoints In Context – Explore today’s most hotly debated topics as well as enduring controversies
- Oxford English Dictionary – Find the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words—past and present—from across the English-speaking world; if accessing from home, make sure to select “Sign In” and enter your library/library card number
- Pongalo – Spanish-language telenovelas and movies, including exclusives, action series, Hollywood movies, sports, documentaries, and content just for kids
- ProQuest Historical Washington Post – Full-text and full-image articles dating back to 1877
- RBdigital– Large collection of e-audio books (many “always available,” no holds required), as well as classic e-books, streaming video (Acorn TV!), educational tools (Hoonuit, Great Courses, Method Test Prep) and popular e-magazines like Vanity Fair and OK! Magazine
- Read It! English Language Learner – For English language learners; learn about topics that you need for school and everyday life
- Reference USA – Data about individuals and businesses for small businesses, nonprofits, and consumers, including current, ad-free job listings
- Rocket Languages – Learn new languages at your own pace; includes downloadable lessons, games and much more
- Stingray Qello – Over 1,500 full-length concerts and music documentaries spanning over 30 genres from the 1920s to today’s hottest artists
- Testing and Education Reference Center – Test preparation for students and professionals and college and career planning guides
- Transparent Language Online – Interactive language lessons to develop everyday conversation skills in 60+ languages, including English for speakers of other languages
- Universal Class – Over 500 online continuing education courses covering a wide range of subjects – accounting, real estate, science, history and more!
- World Book Online– Encyclopedia articles, timelines and more for all ages;
Spanish version available
Note to Virginia residents: The Library of Virginia subscribes to a number of current and historical newspapers, magazines, and journals, as well as genealogical resources, historical maps, civil war records, encyclopedias and directories, and many other texts. If you sign up for a Library of Virginia library card using their online registration system (requires a valid state issued driver’s license or identification card), you can gain immediate remote access to the Library’s subscription databases and catalog features requiring a login.