A-Z List of Databases
We offer online articles, reference books, and other resources for research and learning, including the licensed databases below. You can access most resources at home with your library card. A few are for in-library use only.
Need help or not sure where to begin? Email a librarian or call the Adult Reference Desk at (540) 422-8500 ext. 6862.
Browse our databases by category or view the A-Z list below:
- Access Science – Scientific articles, news, research and videos
- African-American History – Read about key figures and events, examine famous speeches and other primary sources, and get context from the in-depth timelines
- Ancestry for Virginians – Free remote access to select* Ancestry.com materials from the Library of Virginia collections is available to Virginia residents. Users are required to sign up for a free Ancestry.com account prior to accessing the Library of Virginia’s collections. *Note that these records do not include all of Ancestry.com’s Virginia-related content
- Ancestry Library Edition – Genealogy sources including censuses, vital, immigration, and military records, family histories, and legal documents | .
- Biography in Context – Search or browse 600,000+ biographies
- Bloom’s Literature – Articles about literature, author biographies, and plot overviews | .
- Brainfuse HelpNow – Get live, certified educator assistance (7 days a week, 2-11 pm ET) for homework, research, and writing in all subjects for grades K-college | .
- Brainfuse JobNow – Support for job-seekers and individuals changing careers through live resume building, career coaching and extensive interview preparation | .
- Brainfuse VetNow – Live expert assistance for veterans and their families to navigate the bureaucracy of the VA, transition to civilian employment, and excel in academics | .
- Britannica Library – Trusted information for students of all ages | .
- CaseFinder Web (in-library use only; see reference staff for login) – Access Virginia Case Law, including Supreme Court, Federal 4th Circuit and Eastern and Western District Courts, VA Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, selected VA circuit courts, and legal ethics opinions
- Consumer Reports Online – Unbiased/trusted product reviews and ratings on cars, appliances, electronics and numerous other products | .
- Early Learning by World Book – World Book Online’s early childhood digital resource, is a child’s first encyclopedia, eBook, and introduction to core early concepts | .
- Explora Public Libraries – Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topics inspire research ideas | .
- Find It Virginia – A carefully curated selection of authoritative databases, online learning products, and digital reading content (both text and audio) for Virginians of all ages
- Fold3 Library Edition – Provides convenient access to official US military records along with first-person content, including the stories, photos, and personal documents of the men and women who served | .
- Gale Genealogy Connect – Features a wide range of comprehensive references covering the American Revolution, Atlantic States, Family Histories and more
- Gale In Context | Elementary – Articles and reference books for K-5 students | .
- Gale Legal Forms – Print official state and federal legal forms covering business, personal, real estate and other legal areas | .
- Great Courses (via Kanopy) – Delve into an immersive learning experience, covering a wide variety of subjects, with the world’s most engaging professors | .
- HeritageQuest – U.S. census data, local and family histories, and more | .
- Infobase Learning Cloud – Extensive video tutorials covering PC basics, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and more | .
- Issues & Controversies – Helps researchers understand today’s crucial issues by exploring hundreds of hot topics in politics, government, business, society, education, and popular culture | .
- Junior Library Guild Digital Catalog – An unlimited synchronous access collection of ebooks and eAudio for students K-12; content is refreshed every 30 days so there is always something new to read. If you get prompted for a login (or want to use the JLGDig app via Apple and Google Play), please use the following for both a username and password: VirginiaReader
- Just for Kids – Educational videos children want to watch – Sesame Street, The Electric Company, Reading Rainbow, the Berenstain Bears, Franklin, and thousands more – plus songs, games, story times and other interactives that are sure to entertain, educate, and inspire young children | .
- JSTOR – Aimed at scholars, researchers and students, this digital library of academic journal articles, books and primary sources covers a wide variety of academic disciplines including history, literature, religion, the arts, education, law and political science | .
- Kanopy – A collection of nearly 30,000 movies and other videos that inspire, educate and entertain – there something for everyone! Your FPL library card gives you access to six (6) movies credits, three (3) The Great Courses and unlimited Kanopy Kids each month. Many of Kanopy’s videos are not available on Netflix or any other streaming video platform, and the experience is easy-to-use and completely advertisement free | .
- KidSpeak (Transparent Language) – Young learners (ages 6 and up) explore a new language through fun and engaging activities with their cartoon “friend” and his or her pet. Sign in to/register for Transparent Language Online, go to More Languages and select the desired KidSpeak language (Chinese, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish)
- LearningExpress Library – Support for students and professionals in skill-building, test prep and career certification | .
- Lexis Advance Research (in-library use, Warrenton central branch only) – Access the National Primary Library of federal legal codes and case law, Michie’s Jurisprudence for Virginia, and Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- MasterFILE Complete – Offers the largest collection of popular full-text magazines, reference books and other highly-regarded sources from the world’s leading publishers
- NoveList Plus – Trusted source for expert read-alike recommendations, series information, reviews and hundreds of book lists | .
- OverDrive (Blue Ridge Download Consortium) – Popular fiction and nonfiction titles for adults, teens and children; includes extra titles exclusively for Fauquier Public Library card holders | .
- OverDrive (Library of Virginia) – Popular fiction and nonfiction titles for adults, teens and children, and access to over 3,000 magazines | .
- Opposing Viewpoints In Context – Explore today’s most hotly debated topics as well as enduring controversies
- Oxford English Dictionary – Find the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words—past and present—from across the English-speaking world; if accessing from home, make sure to select “Sign In” and enter your library/library card number | .
- Peterson’s Career Prep – Create résumés, cover letters, and websites using prebuilt templates | .
- Peterson’s Test Prep – Test preparation for students and professionals and college and career planning guides | .
- ProQuest Historical Washington Post – Full-text and full-image articles dating back to 1877
- ProQuest U.S. Newsstream – Provides key national and regional news sources from the U.S. and includes exclusive and preferred access to top titles, including The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Newsday, and Chicago Tribune | .
- Read It! English Language Learner – For English language learners; learn about topics that you need for school and everyday life
- Reference Solutions – Data about individuals and businesses for small businesses, nonprofits, and consumers, including current, ad-free job listings | .
- Rocket Languages – Learn new languages at your own pace; includes downloadable lessons, games and much more | .
- Transparent Language Online – Interactive language lessons to develop everyday conversation skills in 60+ languages, including English for speakers of other languages | .
- TumbleBook Library – An online collection of animated, talking picture books; features Spanish and French books, read-along chapter books, non-fiction books, and exciting games and puzzles | .
- Universal Class – Over 500 online continuing education courses covering a wide range of subjects – accounting, real estate, science, history and more |
- Value Line Research Center – Provides investment research on companies, industries, markets and economies. The Library’s subscription includes coverage of 1,700 stocks in The Value Line Investment Survey Plus and 1,800 in the The Small and Mid-Cap edition. To get started, watch a short video overview and read these user guides. IMPORTANT: Our subscription limits the number of simultaneous users. If you’re unable to access the resource, please try again later | .
- World Book Online– Encyclopedia articles, timelines and more for all ages; Spanish version available | .
Note to Virginia residents: The Library of Virginia subscribes to a number of current and historical newspapers, magazines, and journals, as well as genealogical resources, historical maps, civil war records, encyclopedias and directories, and many other texts. If you sign up for a Library of Virginia library card using their online registration system (requires a valid state issued driver’s license or identification card)