Catalog Tip: Library Notices
If you have an e-mail address and/or a mobile phone, the library will send you notices related to your library account, including hold pickup, hold expiration/cancellation, courtesy (3 day advance notice of items due), alerts for new materials and overdue notices.
- Log in to your account
- Click on Update Contact Information
- Select to receive your notices by e-mail
- In the E-Mail Address/SMS-Text Address field, enter your e-mail address (if one is not currently listed), followed by a comma (if you want to receive a text as well) and NO SPACES and then your cell phone number@cell phone carrier.
No hyphens/dashes should be included and there is no need for a “1” to be included at the beginning of the number – limit to 10 digits.
Here are the e-mail addresses for the most popular cellular phone carriers, where phonenumber = your 10-digit mobile phone number:
- Cingular: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nextel: email@example.com
- Sprint: firstname.lastname@example.org
- T-Mobile: email@example.com
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virgin Mobile: email@example.com
Things to keep in mind when opting to receive text notices:
- Charges may be incurred from your cellular provider for text messaging, so be sure to check the terms of your contract.
- Courtesy notices (i.e., your items are due in 3 days) are sent out daily at 8 AM EST. “Preferred Search” notices are sent out on Sundays at 12 PM EST. All other notices (hold pickup, overdues, etc.) are generated by staff when the library is open, so times will vary.
- Because library notices include more information than will fit in a standard text message (140 characters), you will want to check your e-mail for complete/additional information.
To ensure your library notices don’t end up in your spam/blocked notices folder, be sure to mark the following as “safe senders”:
Of course, you may also call your local library for assistance updating your account. We look forward to keeping in touch!
~ Alison, Electronic Resources Librarian, Fauquier County Public Library