Like It or Love It: The Alienist by Caleb Carr (2.10.2022)
At its latest meeting, the Mystery Book Club discussed The Alienist by Caleb Carr. This is the first book in the two book Dr. Laszlo Kreizler series. When a madman begins stalking victims on the streets of 1896 New York, a team of investigators is forced to apply radical and untested techniques that include fingerprinting and the controversial science of psychology.
Here’s what members of the Mystery Book Club had to say about The Alienist:
- The historical aspect of the book was very well done.
- A nice blend of fictional and real people.
- The dialogue was interesting and well written.
What We Didn’t Like
- The book was long (500 pages) and had a slow start.
- Maybe too much history? The details, while interesting, were sometimes overwhelming.
- A little gruesome.
Similar mysteries available from Fauquier Public Library include:
- The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr (book 2 in the series)
- The Anatomist’s Apprentice by Tessa Harris
- The Darwin Affair by Tim Mason
- The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson
- The Yard by Alex Grecian
If you enjoy a good mystery, the Mystery Book Club welcomes new members! Meetings are currently being held virtually. For details about how to join these virtual meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.422.8500, ext. 2.
Looking for your next great read? Browse the library’s catalog, or try our BookMatch Reader’s Advisory Service and let us do the “browsing” for you! Complete the online BookMatch form and we will create a customized reading list of up to 10 titles.