Like It or Love It: Absence of Mercy
At its latest meeting, the Mystery Book Club discussed Absence of Mercy by S.M. Goodwin. It’s the first book in the Lightner and Law mystery series. Forced by his father’s political connections to relocate to pre-Civil War New York, former Crimean War hero Jasper Lightner teams up with misfit detective Hieronymous Law to investigate a philanthropist’s murder and wrongful charges targeting an innocent woman.
Here’s what members of the Mystery Book Club had to say about Absence of Mercy:
What We Liked
- Very readable with vivid characters
- Clues were subtly scattered throughout the book and came together at the end
- More exciting than other historical mysteries we’ve read
What We Didn’t Like
- The ending was good, but a little confusing
- Not a very uplifting book – the less savory facets of this time period were in full display
Similar mysteries available from Fauquier Public Library include:
- Crooked in His Ways by S.M. Goodwin (book 2 in the Lightner and Law mystery series)
- The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes by Leonard Goldberg
- Deception by Gaslight by Kate Belli
- A Lady’s Guide to Mischief and Mayhem by Manda Collins
- A Deadly Affection by Cuyler Overholt
- A Deadly Fortune by Stacie Murphy
If you enjoy a good mystery, the Mystery Book Club welcomes new members! Meetings are currently being held virtually. For details about how to join these virtual meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.422.8500, ext. 3.
Looking for your next great read? Browse the library’s catalog, or try our BookMatch Reader’s Advisory Service and let us do the “browsing” for you! Complete the online BookMatch form and we will create a customized reading list of up to 10 titles.