What We’re Reading: Mystery Book Club, March 2021
The Mystery Book Club recently read Vultures in the Sky by Todd Downing. It’s the third book in his mystery series featuring U.S. Customs Agent Hugh Rennert, first published in 1935. Several passengers on a train from Laredo to Mexico City are murdered, and it’s up to Rennert to investigate and unmask the killer before it’s too late.
Here’s what members of the Mystery Book Club had to say about Vultures in the Sky.
What We Liked
- Descriptive writing
- All the clues you needed to solve the mystery are included
- Surprising ending
What We Didn’t Like
- Weak character development
- Slow and tedious story
- Too many clues
Other similar mysteries available from Fauquier Public Library include:
- The Body on the Train by Frances Brody
- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
- Murder on the Ballarat Train by Kerry Greenwood
- The Western Star by Craig Johnson
- The Egyptian Cross Mystery by Ellery Queen
If you enjoy a good mystery, the Mystery Book Club welcomes new members! The next meeting will be held virtually on Thursday, April 15 at noon. For details about how to join these virtual meetings, please contact email@example.com or call 540.422.8500, ext. 3.
Looking for your next great read? Browse the library’s catalog, or try our BookMatch Reader’s Advisory Service and let us do the “browsing” for you! Complete the online BookMatch form and we will create a customized reading list of up to 10 titles.