What We’re Reading: Mystery Book Club
At it’s February meeting, the Mystery Book Club discussed Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death by James Runcie. It’s the first book in his Grantchester series featuring vicar/amateur sleuth Sidney Chambers. The series was adapted for TV as part of the PBS Masterpiece Mystery series. This book contains six continuous short stories, set in 1953 and 1954, featuring several recurring characters.
Here’s what members of the Mystery Book Club had to say about Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death.
- Good writing
- Descriptive language
- Preferred the book to the TV series
What We Didn’t Like
- Little excitement
- Light on mystery and intrigue
Other similar mysteries available from Fauquier Public Library include:
- Father Christmas mystery series by C.C. Benison
- The Killings at Badger’s Drift by Caroline Graham
- Max Tudor mystery series by G.M. Malliet
- The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith
- Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series by Dorothy Sayers
If you enjoy a good mystery, the Mystery Book Club welcomes new members! Meetings are currently being held virtually. For details about how to join these virtual meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.422.8500, ext. 3.
Looking for your next great read? Browse the library’s catalog, or try our BookMatch Reader’s Advisory Service and let us do the “browsing” for you! Complete the online BookMatch form and we will create a customized reading list of up to 10 titles.