What We’re Reading: Mystery Book Club
The Mystery Book Club recently read The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey. It is the first book in the Perveen Mistry mystery series, set in early 1920’s India. Perveen, one of India’s first female lawyers, is devoted to preserving women’s rights. Her father’s law firm, Mistry Law, is appointed to execute the will of Mr. Omar Farid. Perveen is suspicious when all three of Farid’s wives sign their inheritance over to a charity and decides to investigate.
Here’s what members of the Mystery Book Club had to say about it.
What We Liked
- Rich in information about India, the setting for the book
- Helpful glossary at the back of the book
- Likeable characters
- Murderer was not obvious
What We Didn’t Like
- Portrayed a romanticized version of India
- Mainly focused on the British in India and the upper classes
Other mysteries set in India available from Fauquier Public Library include:
- The Case of the Missing Servant, the first book in the Vish Puri mystery series, set in Delhi
- The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra, the first book in the Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation mystery series, set in Mumbai
Other books by this author:
- The Satapur Moonstone, the second book in the Perveen Mistry mystery series
- Rei Shimura mystery series, set in Japan
If you enjoy a good mystery, the Mystery Book Club welcomes new members! The next meeting will be held virtually on Thursday, October 15 at noon. For details about how to join these virtual meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.422.8500, ext. 3.
Looking for your next great read? Browse the library’s catalog, or try our BookMatch Reader’s Advisory Service and let us do the “browsing” for you! Complete the online BookMatch form and we will create a customized reading list of up to 10 titles.